Welcome to the Macquarrie Library, named in honor of the renowned and influential Anglican theologian The Rev’d Canon Dr. John Macquarrie (1919-2007). Toward the end of his life, Canon Macquarrie bequeathed his personal library to the Graduate Theological Foundation, which the GTF committed to holding in perpetuity. His personal library was soon established as a special collections library. After serving from 1970-1986 as Lady Margaret Professor of Divinity at Christ Church College, University of Oxford, Canon Macquarrie spent the years of 1996 until his death in 2007 as Fellow and Martin Heidegger Professor of Philosophical Theology at the Graduate Theological Foundation.
The Macquarrie Library consists of approximately 2,500 volumes that Canon Macquarrie accumulated over a 60-year teaching career in theology at the University of Glasgow, Union Theological Seminary, the University of Oxford, and the Graduate Theological Foundation. The library’s focus is in philosophical theology and existentialism with special attention paid to Martin Heidegger. The Macquarrie Library is housed in the Dodge House administrative headquarters of the GTF in Indiana, with access restricted to on-site use for scholars who are conducting research in fields of study related to Canon Macquarrie’s own specializations.
The Macquarrie Project
about The Macquarrie Project, a special archival initiative of the Graduate Theological Foundation to highlight the major role Canon John Macquarrie played in the life of this institution and to provide access to researchers.